St Gothians Church
Gwithian Church serves a population of approximately 1,800 encompassing the villages of Gwithian and Connor Downs; it is a busy church, well used for weddings and baptisms. St Gothians is one of the five churches which is encompassed within the Godrevy Team Ministry.
The congregation of Gwithian church considers its mission to be the spreading of the word through services, supporting individuals and raising the profile of the church by participating in community events. The congregation strive to keep the local and more distant population fully aware of services, events, and fellowship gatherings.
The Church of St Gothian stands on an ancient site, the original Norman building had a chancel arch and two similar arches spanning the junctions of transepts and nave. These arches were built with sandstone or sandrock, an easliy worked rock obtained from the nearby cliffs at Godrevy.
In the 15 c the church was enlarged with the addition of a south aisle and a fine west tower, battlemented, with light pinnacles and angels at the upper angles. By the 19 c, an almost complete reconstruction was essential, and between 1865-1867 the entire south aisle was removed to reinstate the original cruciform plan.
St. Elwyn’s Church
St. Elwyns Rise